Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Thing #16 - Wikis

Okay. How can I make one? Is there a site similar to blogspot for creating Wikis or it is really nothing more than a blog with it's own domain? I liked watching the TeacherTube video. The camping pals example was great ... simple idea of what a wiki really is. That guy seems like a pretty tech-savy teacher too. :)

Anyhoo. I love the idea. Can you imagine the collaboration in classrooms, teacher meetings (that never happen due to insane schedules), community organizations, etc.? It could totally transform how people meet. It can certainly cut out a lot of unnecessary time spent at boring meetings, etc. esp when something could be done concise and simple. Can you tell I'm a woman with very little free time?

I'd love it in the math class... notes, projects, outside experiences involving math, etc. What fun?! Most kids think math is boring so I'm willing to try anything ONCE and keep what works. I like the idea of a wiki and a class blog. Would both of them be redundant? I already have a class website. WHAT TO USE? Do I use all 3 or pick one and stick w/ it?

Okay. I just went to a place called Wikispaces.com TOO COOL!!!! I just created one named "Math Every Day". I hope to start up this math class wiki. (maybe I'll do one for other things I'm involved in too).

No comments: