Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Thing #18 - Online Productivity Tools

Yeah! Something I'm already familiar with... :)

I have actually been using Googledocs for a while now. I don't like the editing of a document while using Googledocs, but I think the application is still really cool. I can basically store files and access them anywhere just by logging in to my gmail account. The calendar feature is nice too, esp if you share it with someone and you can create multiple calendars and share with specific people. Did you know you can also post to your blog from googledocs?

I'm downloading Open Office and I'm looking forward to trying it out and comparing it to Googledocs.

Both of these tools could possibly be used to share documents (i.e. assignments) with students ... maybe? I'll have to investigate that avenue.

OKAY ... HERE IS A GRIPE! I understand the need for security, etc. but seriously! If the district wants us to participate in certain things... they need to give us appropriate administrative rights on our pcs! I just waited forever for the Open Office to download... NOPE cannot complete due to my user rights! This is so frustrating and it occurs frequently. I've been w/o several components on my pc lately (yes, it's geeked), but I could easily take care of it if I has the permissions... instead I still wait. This is the reason, along w/ working pc's why I'm often reluctant to use super cool technology in class.... it only works some of the time ... and when it fails, it's when the kids are there waiting.

Okay... I feel better now. I'll get over it.

3 comments:

VWB said...

hopefuly SOME of this fristration will go away with the new laptops for everyone...guess we will see.

Karen said...

I don't see the frustration totally going away because we are only going to be able to download things that will be accessible to us when we are outside fo the network. So, how do we incorporate new things into the classroom. I think it is unfortunate that there is so little trust.

Jennifer said...

Yes, I am excited about the new rollouts as well. I'm hoping to get activ trained as well VERY soon so I can start using that. =)
I would be so awesome to have a pc for every student in class. I know... dream on. =)